Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Easter Project with SRM Stickers

I am loving being on the SRM design team but have been seriously slacking in the 'tube' department. SRM makes these really cool clear plastic tubes (in a variety of sizes) that you can make all kinds of projects out of. They are particularly great for party favors!
I keep a few on my desk hoping that someday a crafty brainstorm will happen and I'll think of something clever to do with them. Yesterday, I finally had an idea (hopefully, an original one) and here's the result:
I wanted a way to package these pretty Easter pencils as a little gift. Eight fit snugly in the tube - but then what? These sat on my desk for weeks until it occurred to me to make the tube into a pencil. Only problem, the tube is shorter than the pencils. How do I get the cap to stay on - cut the pencils? Fake it by sticking the cap to the erasers, rendering the entire gift useless? I slept on it and came up with this idea: I call it 'franken-tube'. I cut a piece off of another tube, washi taped it to the pencil tube at the top:
I covered the washi joint with the silver paper (scored to look like the metal part of a pencil - thanks Jan!)  and voila. It worked!
To make the point, I punched a circle from kraft paper, cut a radius then shaped it into a cone. I glue dotted in together, then dipped it in black acrylic paint to make the 'lead'. When it was dry, I glued it into the base of the tube, where there happens to be a convenient little lip to hold it in place.
 For my little gift tag, I used a variety of SRM Easter themed stickers.
If you are feeling the need for some more SRM inspiration, stop by the blog. Susan and Jenyfur are always sharing tons of ways to use their cool products.

It's very warm here in New Jersey this week. Like, 'late Spring' warm. I'm trying to remind myself daily that it is still winter and the temps will surely plummet again before Spring does officially arrive. Is it warm where you are too?
Thanks for stopping by today!

10 comments:

Christina said...

Yes this is genius!! what a cool idea
xo

soapHOUSEmama said...

OMGoodness!!!!! Totally adorable :)

Sarah said...

This is so stinkin' cute! I love that you were able to work out a way to make the tube longer without sacrificing the cuteness.

scrapbookertink said...

Wow, this is a fab idea, take care, Doreen x

Berenice R. said...

Awesome project! Thanks for sharing :)

~amy~ said...

You are soooooo clever..I love it.

~jan said...

Brilliant. Genius. Clever. Creative. I think that *might* cover it! Lovelovelove this idea and how you made it work and look great! Tubeliscious, my friend!

Jennie M said...

That is really, really smart and cute!!

curlyqmosaics said...

This pencil idea is cute, clever and so fun! I love the way you extended the tube with the washi tape, and the paint dipped point...it looks so real! Perfection Valerie!

Lowri said...

HI Valerie - I am trying to contact you about featuring one of your tutorials on TipJunkie but I am unable to find an email address for you. If you are interested, please email me at lowri.mcnabb@gmail.com